Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cooking the Books Review

Barefoot in Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make at Home by Ina Garten; photographs by Quentin Bacon (NY: Clarkson Potter, 2004)

This is an absolutely beautiful book. The photos are plentiful and mouthwatering and there is a coffee-table-book feel to both the design and the construction of the book. Don't just look at it though -- it is full of excellent, delicious recipes. Garten's friendly, casual tone helps mitigate the intimidation factor of things like souffles and hollandaise sauce. Mixed in with the recipes are thoughts and tips and several short essays on topics like French table settings, flowers, and cheese and a list of places to shop if you are lucky enough to get to Paris.

While I wouldn't describe this as an absolute beginner's cookbook it is very approachable and the directions are clear and easy to follow. The Lentil Sausage Soup (page 90) has become one of my go-to-recipes and the pissaladiere (provencal pizza) would be if I could get my husband to eat anchovies.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an approachable introduction to cooking French food.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read a cookbook by Ina Garten, but this review makes me want to try one. I like that it also includes great photos and tips about French table settings and cheese etc.

    And sorry, but I'm with your husband as far as anchovies. Yuck! If a recipe calls for them, I just leave them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...