Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tea & Books Challenge Update - March

I finished my second book (out of six) for this challenge, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark. I am finding this challenge tougher than I expected.

The first difficulty I am having is finding books that I want to read that are 700 pages or longer. When I signed on I had several books in mind that I want to read, but closer examination revealed that most of them are not that long (500-650 pages mostly).

The other problem I am having is that it takes so long to read a long book (obviously not something I am in the habit of doing) that I keep wanting to pick up and read other things that draw my attention. This is OK, except that I have limited time to read (that job thing takes up a lot of time) and finishing the long books gets tougher the more other books I have going.

Of course, if it was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called a "challenge" so I will press on. I did decide to enlist the law of averages to fit in one of the books that inspired me to take this on into the challenge. I finished 1Q84 (925 pages) and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (846 pages), which is 371 pages beyond the required 700 per book. I am applying that "credit" to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (at 642 pages) and making it one of my 6 long books.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing your second book! If it's any comfort, my own challenge is quite challenging for me as well! ;-)
    I've also read two of six so far and I have a few tomes to choose from as my next book for the challenge ... some are beyond 1.000 pages which is scary, hahaha!
    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...