Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermuda Onion, where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our weekly reading.
Strictly speaking, these aren't from my reading this week, but there were quite a few good words I looked up from this novel, so I am still working on sharing them.

vademecum (n) 1 : a book for ready reference : manual. 2: something regularly carried about by a person. "He peered dubiously at the depression in the bedclothes, and measured it a second time with the gentleman-scout's vademecum."  (p. 41)

emollient (adj) 1. making soft or supple; also soothing esp. to the skin or mucous membrane. 2: making less intense or harsh; mollifying. "When this is over I shall turn pussyfoot, forswear the police news, and take to an emollient diet of the works of the late Charles Garvice." (p. 68) I knew this word in the context of hand lotion, but thought there might be more meanings. Charles Garvice was a popular author of the time who wrote romances.

Words are from Whose Body? by Dorthy L. Sayers. Definitions are from Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary.

1 comment:

  1. I knew emollient - I think I've seen it on a bottle of hand lotion. Vademecum is new to me - it would be hard for me to use because it would be hard for me to pronounce.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...