Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Q:Spencer Quinn

Dog on It is the first book in  Spenser Quinn's Chet and Bernie series. Chet is the narrator of the books, and what makes this a bit unusual is that Chet is a dog. Bernie is the detective he pals around with. Here is my review of this book:
Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #1)This tale of kidnapping (or is it a runaway?, opinions differ) from the point of view of Chet, a dog, was well done and often funny. Some of the tics that go along with having a dog for a narrator, like getting distracted from the action by food on the floor, got a bit tedious after a while. Overall though Quinn does a good job with the premise and keeps most of Chet's observations to things he saw, or interpretations based on stuff Bernie says or his knowledge of Bernie's habits.
The mystery they are working on was in interesting one, with a logical conclusion. Some of the action seemed far-fetched. There is a scene on a cliff after a car wreck that was beyond ridiculous. Ultimately I am glad I read this, but probably won't continue with the series.
I did go on to listen to book 2 however, on a car trip with my husband. I liked the second book more than I did the first one, so I may keep reading. My husband was quite taken with the series and has read several of them. If you like both dogs and mysteries, then this is an author to check out.  
This post is part of the Crime Fiction Alphabet 2012 at Mysteries in Paradise. I got behind on this and am working on catching up the letters I missed. This is my final catch-up post, so i am back on track to finish the project with Z this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...