Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Why Shoot a Butler?

Why Shoot a Butler?Why Shoot a Butler? 
by Georgette Heyer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a good, old-fashioned mystery story complete with false leads, chases, secrets, and a little romance thrown in for good measure. The book--both the plot and the writing--seemed made to be a movie, probably with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. According to the Definitive Fan Website for Georgette Heyer, there have only been 2 movies based on her novels and this isn't one of them. 

I hadn't read Heyer before, but I would definitely read her again. 

This book counts toward the Vintage Mystery challenge in the category  The Butler Did It...Or Not: a mystery where the butler is the victim, the sleuth....(gasp) the criminal....or is just downright memorable for whatever reason.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice review. Inspires me to pick this one for one of my Vintage Mystery challenge books. (Assuming I have a copy.) I have several of her mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite Heyer mysteries. I particularly like Frank Amberley's aunt who reminds me a great deal of Lord Peter Wimsey's mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't strike me when I was reading, but you at right about Frank's aunt! I've only read a couple ofHeyer so far. Which others would you recommend?

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...