Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: The Book Club

The Book ClubThe Book Club
by Marjolijn Februari

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There were a number of interesting and thought provoking observations about the world made in this book, and some of the images were very well drawn. Overall though I felt like the characters were too numerous and too shallow. Because the point of view flits around so much from one to another there is no depth to our understanding of any of them which made it hard for me to be invested in finding out the deep secret at the heart of the story.
One of my major reasons for picking this up was that it is set in the Netherlands. There were some sections about the character of the village, but I didn't get a strong feeling of place. The novel did make me want to re-read the story "A Jury of Her Peers" (Susan Glaspell) which is mentioned in the course of the story.

For another opinion on this book check out the Indextrious Reader's review.

This book counts toward the Books About Books Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...