Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review: Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1)Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I loved the way this book was put together, the images on the postcards and envelopes (and even the stamps) were wonderful and having some of the correspondence be letters in envelopes made the experience of reading the book like finding treasures in an attic.The story of Griffin and Sabine was odd. I found Griffin's behavior quite bizarre, but perhaps it will be explained in a reasonable way by the end of the trilogy.

Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #2)Sabine's Notebook by Nick Bantock
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I didn't feel like this book took the story of Griffin and Sabine any further along. All the traveling to different places seemed like an excuse to create postcard art with different themes. The postcard art was wonderful, but the book felt like filler.

The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3)The Golden Mean by Nick Bantock
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

As with the 2 earlier books I liked the postcards and the envelopes as artwork. However I didn't feel like the tone of the cards/envelopes matched the content of the letters as well as it did in the first book. I also felt, despite the subtitle, that nothing was really concluded which was disappointing.

Overall I was impressed by the artwork in this trilogy, but I found the storyline disappointing. Nick Bantock lives in British Columbia, so this trilogy counts (I'm calling it one book) toward the Canadian Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...