Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: Dept of Speculation

Dept. of SpeculationDept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
"Advice for wives circa 1896: The indiscriminate reading of novels is one of the most injurious habits to which a married woman can be subject. Besides the false views of human nature it will impart...it produces an indifference to the performance of domestic duties, and contempt for ordinary realities." p. 49
This quote isn't really typical of this novel, but I had to share it. Overall this was a quirky mixture of quotes, observations, and anecdotes which worked well as a way to tell the story of this woman and her relationships, but there was a feeling of impending doom through the whole book which I found off-putting.

1 comment:

  1. This one has been on my TBR list for a while, but I never get to it. I enjoyed the quote, and have to say it is probably quite true in my case!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...