Friday, November 6, 2015

Around the World in 80 Days

Around the World in 80 DaysAround the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As a girl I was a big fan of Nellie Bly, so the main thing I knew about Around the World in 80 Days was that Bly had beat that record. The story follows Fogg and Passepartout, his French servant, as they circumnavigate the globe to win a huge bet while being pursued (unknown to them) by a policeman. The view of the world (from the perspective of the Great British Empire as interpreted by a Frenchman) was fascinating--especially the section set in Asia--and the geography was extensive. (I kept wanting to look at a map as I listened to the audiobook.) The style of the writing reminded me of Tristram Shandy, which was published 100 years earlier than Verne's novel. Overall this was an enjoyable 18th century adventure story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...