Saturday, April 1, 2017

Orlando

OrlandoOrlando by Virginia Woolf
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was quite different from Mrs. Dalloway or To the Lighthouse and is definitely my least favorite of the three. There is an excellent post about this novel at Conceptual Fiction which explains the novel much better than I can. There were things about the novel that I liked: the voice of 'the biographer' that Woolf takes when dealing with time transitions and other awkward story transitions was very clever; the comments on the 'great men of letters' were very funny; and the whole section about the romance with the Russian princess was excellent. Ultimately though the book just didn't come together for me. 
This book could count toward either of two categories for the Back to the Classics challenge: 20th century classic, or a classic by a woman author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...