Saturday, June 29, 2019

Some Tame Gazelle

Some Tame GazelleSome Tame Gazelle 
by Barbara Pym
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
“If only one could clear out one's mind and heart as ruthlessly as one did one's wardrobe.”
There is something delightfully practical about the spinsters who populate Barbara Pym novels, and yet they are undeniably sentimental as well. This was a good story about a pair of sisters and their lives in a small village. My only quibble about it was that the characters of the two weren't distinct enough and I had some trouble keeping track of which sister was doing what. 

There was an "official of one of the greatest libraries in England" who was a minor character and I loved how everyone expected him to be very high-minded and scholarly and his primary interests regarding the running of the library were heating and water-closets. The truth about life as a librarian comes out!
This is one of the titles from my Classics Club list and was one of my #10booksofsummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...