Tuesday, September 10, 2019

The English Patient

The English PatientThe English Patient 
by Michael Ondaatje
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"The desert could not be claimed or owned--it was a peice of cloth carried by winds, never held down by stones, and given a hundred shifting names long before Canterbury existed, long before battles and treaties quilted Europe and the East." (p. 138)
This was not my favorite Ondaatje novel, but it was beautifully written and included a lot of thought provoking passages. The perspective of the various characters on the bombing of Hiroshima was especially striking to me. I found the jumping around in time somewhat confusing and found some of the men were also difficult to keep track of who was who. 
I am counting this toward the 13th Canadian Book Challenge.


1 comment:

  1. I read this years ago, and I know it wasn't one I kept to reread. I suspect I felt similarly to you about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...