Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Living with a Dead Language

Living with a Dead Language: My Romance with LatinLiving with a Dead Language: My Romance with Latin 
by Ann Patty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There is a lot of Latin grammar discussed in this book which I found rough going. Mixed into it is a delightful memoir of a woman who has retired from her career and is looking for a worthwhile way to fill her days and occupy her mind. The memoir kept me going through the discussions of declensions. I have never studied Latin at all but I suspect that if you have, even a bit, the explanations of what she is learning and what she finds a struggle in her studies would make sense. Patty's writing is excellent (she was an editor so this isn't surprising) and her story is very relatable. This book made me think about what I might want to dive deeply into as an academic pursuit in my rapidly approaching later years. It won't be Latin. 
Definitely recommended.

This title counts toward the Nonfiction Reader Challenge in the 'language' category.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...