Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Shelf Control #7

Shelf Control is a weekly celebration of the unread books on our shelves created and hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies. Pick a book you own but haven’t read, write a post about it (suggestions: include what it’s about, why you want to read it, and when you got it), and link up! For more info on what Shelf Control is all about, check out the introductory post, Want to join in? Shelf Control posts go up every Wednesday. I decided to participate monthly rather than weekly. Look for my posts on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.


Title: I, the King
Author: Frances Parkinson Keyes

Published: 1966
Length: 318 pages

What it’s about (from back cover): "Frances Parkinson Keyes has done it again in this brilliantly conceived novel that captures the somber beauty and dazzling splendor of Spain's golden 17th century. Against the backdrop of those splendid and turbulent years, Mrs. Keyes spins out the dramatic story of Philip IV, a troubled, misguided, but devout ruler. It is also the story of the women in his life--especially the child bride who became his queen, and the beautiful Blue Nun, Sor Maria, who helped turn the profligate into a true monarch."

How and when I got it: My Mom's theory was that if you didn't have anything to read you could always reread Frances Parkinson Keyes. When she died I kept her collection of these novels (except for the ones that had been read so many times they were just piles of paper held together with rubber bands). This is one of her books. 

Why I want to read it: My Mom loved these books and this particular one is an historical novel which will count toward one of my current reading challenges.

How it begins: "She was seated in a silver saddle, with housings of velvet and pearls, on a white palfry, when she came riding into his life and into his heart."

Progress since last Shelf Control post

How am I doing actually reading the books I have written about in my shelf control posts? I am going to start tracking that on each monthly post. 

# books posted about prior to this one: 6
# of books read: 1
# of books passed on without reading: 0


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...