- The art and literature of the early 20th century
- A response to the horror and upheaval of the "great war," and the world war that followed it
- A period of literary and artistic introspection
- A conscious rejection of the traditions of the past that strove to reflect a new reality
- A reaction to the restrictions of Victorian society and the excesses of Victorian art
- A movement that included the authentic voices of women and minorities
- A sparse style of language with a focus on images
- A period of experimentation with form and a desire to make work that was new
Friday, March 22, 2013
What is Modernism?
Modern March I wanted to get a handle on what it means for a work to be "modern." The article at The Literature Network was quite helpful, though it has a lot of pop-ups. The wikipedia article on Modernist Literature was also helpful.