Monday, May 19, 2014

Lisa's Review: No Time for Goodbye

No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

My Review: 3 of 5 stars

What would happen if you woke up one day and found your entire family missing? That is what happened to 14 year old Cynthia Bigge. A rebellious teen, she had been out too late the night before with her sketchy boyfriend Vince and had been dragged home by her disapproving father. When she woke up the next morning to find her house strangely empty - her mother, father, and brother all gone - and they did not return, she was left to wonder what happened to them. Were they kidnapped, were they murdered, or did they just up and leave her? If one of the former two options, why was she left behind?

Fast-forward twenty-five years. Cynthia is married to Terry and they have a young daughter, Grace. Cynthia, who is still searching for answers to what happened to her family many years prior, decides to go on a crime show 'Deadline' in hopes to find clues. Things seem to unravel from there, with many twists and turns.

I had never heard of Linwood Barclay, but had read a few reviews from the 7th Annual Canadian Book Challenge of some more recent works, and thought that I should check out one of his books, so I decided to start with one of his earlier ones. I'm afraid to admit that I don't spend as much time reading as I would like, but when I do I'm happy to find something that is just pure entertainment for me...it doesn't have to be a literary work of genius. I'm thrilled when I find something that makes me keep the page turning, and allows my brain to escape for a while without a lot of thinking. I found that in this book. It was easy to read. It had enough plot to sufficiently entertain me & make me wonder what is coming next. A few of the plot turns I had predicted and some of them I didn't. I enjoyed this one enough to know that I will definitely seek out another Barclay novel. I'd be interested to hear opinions from others to know which to pick up next. I'm tempted to check out the series of books before this one (the Zack Walker series) or maybe something more current.   

This is my eighth book read for the 7th Annual Canadian Book Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...