Thursday, February 19, 2015

Review: Dinner: A Love Story

Dinner: A Love Story: It All Begins at the Family TableDinner: A Love Story: It All Begins at the Family Table
by Jenny Rosenstrach
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book really isn't targeted to me. I don't have kids, my husband and I usually eat dinner together, and we both cook, so getting dinner put together isn't usually a big problem. I was inspired to read this by the post at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity.
I really enjoyed this book, and my sister (who has kids) should definitely read it. I loved the way Rosenstrach told her stories, and the peek into the NYC life she and her husband lead was very cool. I also really enjoyed the "love story" about she and her husband Andy.
I marked a couple of recipes to try (including peanut butter noodles) and made Great Grandma Turno's Meatballs (we liked the meatballs, the sauce was way too sweet for me).
One of my favorite parts of the book was the letters that were added in, like the letter to "my younger newly betrothed self" about the stuff she put on her wedding registry that was a mistake and what she wished she had listed there instead. My list would differ from hers, but she is totally right about the chip and dip (don't bother).
This book is well worth reading, especially if you ever wondered what life as a publishing professional in NY might actually look like.
I am counting this as my cookbook for Foodies Read 2015.



6 comments:

  1. I liked the book even though I don't have kids and also don't stress about making dinner. But I learned some tricks and like the memoir part. I even picked up a couple of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of the book, but I am intrigued.

    While I am an empty nester, I did at one time raise three picky eaters - and prior to starting a family, we lived in NYC. I like the memoir aspect as well.

    I am definitely adding this to the TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to be a publishing professional in New York, so I guess I should definitely read this, although my kids are already all grown and off cooking for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably don't have much in common with the author, but often that is what makes for a good read; all about another lifestyle, time, place, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd probably enjoy the memoir parts. I have no desire to live in NYC but I like reading about people who do!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanut butter noodles? Sounds interesting, I'll be clicking the link! Sounds like an interesting book!

    Thanks for linking to the Foodies Read Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...