Saturday, July 1, 2017

Review: Joshua Then and Now

Joshua Then and NowJoshua Then and Now by Mordecai Richler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I liked the way this novel was structured. The first page finds Joshua in the hospital and then the reader follows along as his mind wanders back and forth in time and place telling us all kinds of stories about his family, his friends, his enemies, and his women. What he doesn't tell us--until the end of the novel--is how he ended up in the hospital. Joshua's world is full of colorful characters and in among the tall tales is a lot of info about Canadian history, boxing, and the Spanish Civil War.
This is my first book completed for the 11th Canadian Book Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Classic Canadiana! Great choice to kick off the reading challenge. I haven't read this one so it's nice to hear that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on my TBR but I've only read a couple of his books so far. If I remember correctly, there was a mini-series of this a couple of decades ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...