Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review: Lord Peter

Lord Peter (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)Lord Peter by Dorothy L. Sayers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My major issue with this book, which is a collection of short stories featuring Lord Peter Wimsey, has more to do with me than with the book. I don't really find short stories very satisfactory, especially when they are about a character I already know. Sayers is a wonderful writer and these tales are tidy little puzzles (for the most part) that Lord Peter ties up neatly by the end, but the usual extra stuff about Freddy and Bunter and the Dowager Duchess of Denver's goings-on are omitted from this shorter form and I missed them. I had read some of these stories before (this is the complete collection of Lord Peter Wimsey stories which is why I wanted it for my Sayers shelf), but some were new to me. The final story, "Talboys" was first published here and isn't really a mystery at all but it a fun story about domestic life later in Lord Peter's relationship with Harriett Vane.

I got this book as a completion prize for the Vintage Mystery Challenge last year and am counting it toward the What's in a Name 7 Challenge to cover the category "a forename or names." This completes one goal for the Spring into a Good Book Challenge.


1 comment:

  1. Short stories when there are longer works can sometimes be good, but I think there's a unconscious thought that they should be longer and we expect detail. Glad you like the story otherwise. Well done on What's In A Name, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...