Friday, June 9, 2017

Lisa's Review: Essex County

Essex County by Jeff Lemire

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars

Essex County is a graphic novel trilogy. Book One, Down by the Farm, is about a lonely boy living on his uncles' farm, and loves superheroes. Book Two, Ghost Stories, follows two hockey playing brothers throughout their lives. And Book Three, The Country Nurse, switches in timeline between 1917 & a nun who is working at an orphanage to more present day & a nurse who calls on patients around Essex County. There is also some bonus material at the end of the book.

I won this book from a monthly mini-challenge in the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge. The mini-challenge was to read a graphic novel in that chosen month. Since then, in the past year, I have read four graphic novels (three of which were written and/or illustrated by Jeff Lemire). I have to say that Essex County has been my favorite so far. I loved the way the 3 books were separate yet had intertwining bits.    

This is my eleventh book read for the 10th Annual Canadian Book Challenge (two more to go before July 1st!).

2 comments:

  1. What a nice prize to win from that challenge. That graphic novel of collected stories sounds great and I am looking into getting a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I agree, if I hadn't won this I probably wouldn't have had the chance or inclination to read it, but I would now highly recommend it!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...