Saturday, September 11, 2021

Update on a Century of Books

At the end of 2020 I posted about a plan to read books that would complete my century of books (at least one title published in each year of the 20th century). At that point there were 18 years that I was missing. I have filled in some of those years since then. 

Earlier this year I did a massive organizing and weeding of my book collection and added all my owned-fiction (read or not) to Goodreads. This resulted in identifying  books that I had read for some of the missing years:

1910 - The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
1915 - Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham
1916 - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
1919 - Winesburg Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
1974 - Black as He's Painted by Ngaio Marsh

During 2021 I have read some books published in years I was missing:

1907 - Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum
1911 - The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
1917 - Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley
1921 - Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley

This leaves me with nine years still to be covered (books listed are possibilities for each year; the starred ones I have copies of):

1901 - Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter; The Crisis by Winston Churchill
1902 - The Virginian* by Owen Wister
1903 - The Ambassadors by Henry James
1904 - Esau and Jacob by Machado de Assis; The Golden Bowl by Henry James
1906 - Railway Children by E. Nesbit; Love Among the Chickens by P. G. Wodehouse
1909 - 3 Lives* by Gertrude Stein
1912 - Buttered Side Down (Short Stories) by Edna Ferber
1913 - O Pioneers* by Willa Cather; Swann's Way* by Marcel Proust 
1946 - Delta Wedding by Eudora Welty; Member of the Wedding* by Carson McCullers

I don't expect to read books for all the remaining years in the next few months, so this project will extend into 2022 and possibly beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...