Monday, December 28, 2020

A Century of Books

I have been tracking my books on GoodReads since 2008 and in that time I have read a book published in each year of the 20th century except for 18 years. I have read numerous books published in each year of the 21st century.  
During 2021 one of my reading goals is to try to fill in some of the years for which I have not read a book.  Listed below are the years I am missing and some possible titles for them. Any recommendations for me?

1901 - The Crisis - Winston Churchill
1902 - The Virginian - Owen Wister
1903 - The Ambassadors - Henry James
1904 - Esau and Jacob - Machado de Assis
1906 - Love Among the Chickens - P. G. Wodehouse
1907 
1909
1910 - The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
1911 - Innocence of Father Brown - G. K. Chesterton
1912 - Buttered Side Down (Short Stories) - Edna Ferber
1913 - Swann's Way - Marcel Proust 
1915 - Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
1916 - Chicago Poems - Carl Sandburg
1917 
1919 - The Moon and Sixpence - W. Somerset Maugham
1921 - Crome Yellow - Aldous Huxley
1946 - Delta Wedding - Eudora Welty; Member of the Wedding - Carson McCullers
1974 - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - John le Carre

5 comments:

  1. I started doing a similar project in 2015, but I was aiming at books between 1915-2015. Somewhere along the way I stopped keeping track so I need to go back and figure out what I have read to fill in the blanks since then. And maybe try to go back all the way to 1900. Some of these on your list may be useful to me, but I have no suggestions for you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a cool thing to have read a century of books. Good luck getting back on track with your project!

      Delete
  2. I'd be happy to loan you my copy of The Secret Garden. Have you read Anne of Avonlea? It's the second in the Anne of Green Gables books and was published in 1909 (I have that one too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of Secret Garden, thanks. I haven't read Anne of Avonlea, is it as sad as the first one?

      Delete
    2. I don't fully remember it all, but I don't think anything nearly as sad as what happened in the first one.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...