Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Uread Shelf Project Update

Unread Shelves, 3/16/22
When I went through my books in 2021 (and gave away a LOT of them) I had 101 books identified as "owned, but not read." On March 15th my Unread Shelf was at 131 books. That means that if I don't obtain any more books and could read one book each month off my own shelves--which history indicates is unlikely--it would take me 11 years to read them all. Almost half of these books are also over 400 pages which doesn't help. My number of unread books is going in the wrong direction! 

I went through my books again and identified 6 titles (by reading the blurbs and the beginning of each one I wasn't sure about) that no longer appeal. Those went in the "donate to the library" box. Unfortunately I also found one that wasn't in my list yet. My current number is 126, eleven of which are digital audiobooks. Unread books on the shelf is like savings set aside for a rainy day, but I think the total has gotten out of hand. I need some strategies to get through more of my owned-but-not-read titles. 

My various reading challenges, including my planned reading for classics club, should lead to at least 12 books from my shelves getting read in 2022. 

I may set aside a month during 2022 in which I will commit to only reading books from my shelves--no library books. I'm thinking that June might be a good time for that.

There will be a Classics Club spin number drawn on Sunday and I am going to piggy-back on that project with an Unread Shelf Spin. Below is a list of twenty books from my shelves and whichever number is drawn for Classics Club I will commit to starting that title before the finish date for the spin. 

  1. The Sense of Style by Steven Pinker
  2. Here on Earth by Alice Hoffman
  3. What Would Audrey Do? by Pamela Keogh
  4. The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx
  5. Lost by Gregory Maguire
  6. Michael Tolliver Lives by Amistead Maupin
  7. The Snow Queen by Michael Cunningham
  8. Ninety-nine Glimpses of Princess Margaret by Craig Brown
  9. No Hard Feelings by Liz Fosslien and Molly West Duffy
  10. So We Read On by Maureen Corrigan
  11. The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel
  12. Matrimony, Inc. by Francesca Beauman
  13. Eleanor Roosevelt, vol. 3 by Blanche Wiesen Cook
  14. For All the Tea in China by Sarah Rose
  15. The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis
  16. Fluke by Christopher Moore
  17. Three Lives by Gertrude Stein
  18. The Russia House by John Le Carre
  19. Come and Get It by Edna Ferber
  20. On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks
I feel like 50-60 unread books on hand would be a good number to get to and try to maintain at. 

1 comment:

  1. That is a good idea, using the spin number for a second list also.

    I have many, many more physical books unread than you do although I am trying to cut back a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...