Friday, March 18, 2022

Readers' Advisory Guide to Mystery

The Readers' Advisory Guide to MysteryThe Readers' Advisory Guide to Mystery 
by John Charles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am continuing my readers' advisory reading project (see genre fiction, and historical fiction) and thought this book would be an interesting read that, because I have read a lot of mysteries, wouldn't add too much to by TBR. It was super interesting but I still ended up with a lot of new titles to read.
There are a LOT of resources packed into this short (168 pages) book. Lists of movies, tv-shows, books for discussion, resources to read more about mysteries, as well as numerous titles and read-similars for various sub-genres. There are also sections on collection development and marketing your library's mystery collection that were full of good ideas and an extensive resource list of organizations (like Mystery Readers International), and awards (like the Nero Wolfe Award). 

My main quibble with the book is that they described Ngaio Marsh (more than once) as a British writer. She is a New Zealander and a major mystery writer of the golden age. That error raised concerns for me about the overall accuracy of the book. 

Here is my list of potential reading from this book:
I am only planning to read one more of these Readers' Advisory Guides which is a good thing because my TBR list is getting out of control! If only it were true that librarians just sit around all day reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...