Sunday, July 23, 2023

Martin Chuzzlewit

Martin ChuzzlewitMartin Chuzzlewit 
by Charles Dickens
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Having read Samantha Silva's novel Mr. Dickens and his Carol earlier this year--which is set at the period of Dickens' life when Chuzzlewit was being published--I was interested to read this particular novel. It was not my favorite Dickens. I found the whole section in America to be superfluous and I could definitely have done with a lot less of Mrs. Gamp. Her carrying on about Mrs. Harris was funny at first, but it got old fast. The heart of this novel, for me, was the storyline about Tom Pinch and his sister. 

This book is on my Classics Club list and it counts toward both the TBR pile challenge and #20booksofsummer2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...