Thursday, February 2, 2023

The Story of Philosophy

The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the World's Greatest PhilosophersThe Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the World's Greatest Philosophers 
by Will Durant
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was written in the 1920s which wasn't an issue until I got to the "contemporary" philosophers and then it was a bit weird. Western philosophy is discussed one thinker at a time, with reference back to earlier philosophers who were influences or whom the subject is refuting. Durant uses a lot of quotes from the individual philosophers, but offers a lot of guidance and context so his reader doesn't get lost. I don't feel like I understand all the arguments I read here, but I definitely have a better understanding of who's who in the tradition of Western philosophy.
This book is on my Classics Club list and on my 2023 TBR pile challenge list



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...