Saturday, November 10, 2012

O: Mark Okrant

Mark Okrant is a New Hampshire writer whose work I have featured on the NH Center for the Book Blog. I have also featured his daughter's work, which I think is cool to have been able to do. 

Mark Okrant has written several mystery novels, all set in New Hampshire's grand resort hotels. The books feature Kary Turnell, a mystery writer with a penchant for crime solving.

A Last ResortA Last Resort by Mark Okrant

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The main character, Kary, wasn't very likable, but he was interesting enough to keep me reading. The structure of the book, which jumped around in time quite a bit later in the book (with date and time stamps at the start of each section) was not something I had seen before. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Ultimately the mystery is unravelled and it all fits together in a reasonable way. The background info about The Balsams, a NH grand resort hotel, was the major thing that held this book together. I am interested to see what later novels by Okrant are like. There is definitely promise here.

This post is part of the Crime Fiction Alphabet 2012 at Mysteries in Paradise. I got behind on this and am working on catching up the letters I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...