Friday, August 14, 2015

Review: The Singer's Gun

The Singer's GunThe Singer's Gun by Emily St. John Mandel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It could just be how my job is going these days, but the lines about work really resonated for me in this novel: "Work is always a little sordid." (p. 107); "Well, most things you have to do in life are at least a little questionable." (p. 166). Early on in the book someone's job abandons them (in dead file storage no less) which I found a really intriguing idea. 

I thought this novel was very well written, and even though I didn't really like the main character I couldn't stop reading because I had to know what he was going to do next. 

I have been reading my way through Mandel's earlier books because I was so blown away by Station Eleven, and so far they have all been good, but none as good which makes sense as she is developing as a writer with each book. 

This book is my second completed for the Canadian Book Challenge. Mandel is Canadian and the novel (which actually talks a good bit about far northern Canada) contains this line, which I loved: "The distance between Inuvik and New York was almost dazzling in its extremity." (p. 258 - links are mine). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...