Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The House of Mirth

The House of MirthThe House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The writing in this novel was very good, the scenes were vividly drawn and I enjoyed the glimpses of old New York. The characters, however, were very irritating. The choices that Lily Bard (and her various companions) made seemed unbelievable to me. The dilemmas they faced, which drove the action of the story (such as it was, not a ton actually happens) didn't seem significant enough for all the angst they inspired. Perhaps this story is set in a time too distant from my world for me to identify with.

This novel is on my Classics Club list and counts toward the 2016 Back to the Classics Challenge as "a book by a woman author."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...