Sunday, April 8, 2018

Six Degrees of Separation

The #6degrees meme is hosted at Books are my Favourite and Best.

This month the chain begins with (#1) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I read this book for a wonderful book group I was in when I lived in Washington, DC. The next book we read after that was (#2) The Archivist by Martha Cooley. The conflicted archivist theme leads me to (#3) The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland, which is set in 
Moscow, 1939 where a young archivist in the recesses of the infamous Lubyanka prison struggles with choices about what his duty is. Russia, and struggles to understand what reality is are at the center of  (#4) The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Both the magical elements and the struggle to understand reality bring me to (#5) The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Toru Okada, the main character in Murakami's novel spends a lot of time sitting in the bottom of a well thinking about stuff (it is more interesting than it sounds). This made me think of (#6) The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley which is a stunning novel about the deepest mysteries of human nature.


3 comments:

  1. There are some very interesting books in your chain. Had not heard of The Man in the Basement by Mosley. The Master and Margarita is on my list of classics to read... soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Master and Margarita is great, if you like Murakami I think you will like it. Man in the Basement is the only Mosley I have read, his much more famous books are still on my TBR, but this one was really good. Super odd, but really good.

      Delete
  2. This was a very nice chain too. I always find lots of books to add my towering TBR lists. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...