Monday, April 22, 2019

Lisa's Review: An Unwanted Guest

An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

My Rating: 2 of 5 stars

As guests arrive at the charming Mitchell Inn for a weekend away, they are unaware that they will be stranded without power, heat, or any contact with the outside world as a result of the snow & ice storm. They are able to make the best of it until they discover that there is likely a murderer among them.   

I wasn't a huge fan of this book. What I did like is that it was a fast and easy read (once I got to the point of being able to keep all of the names straight). However, I really didn't enjoy the read. That may just be me, as there are plenty of glowing reviews. The few reviews I read that were in my range stated exactly what I had thought - I did not appreciate the style of writing and I didn't find any of the characters likable.

I found it interesting that a number of reviews (the good and the bad) compared it to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. I sheepishly have to admit I've never read an Agatha Christie novel, so I'm adding this to my list to the first one to read.

This is my 9th book for the 12th Annual Canadian Reading Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I love Agatha Christie, and while And Then There Were None is a good one, I would suggest that The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is perhaps her best and I would start there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...