Friday, January 7, 2022

Back to the Classics 2022

Books and Chocolate is once again hosting Back to the Classics. The challenge is to read classics (must be published before 1972) that fit specific categories. The more categories you complete the more entries you get in the prize drawing at the end of the year. I am aiming to read 12 books for this challenge. Most of the categories can be filled by Classics Club titles that I was already planning to read this year.

These are the categories for 2022 with a title I might read for each:

1. A 19th century classic. (New Grub Street by George Gissing, 1891)

2. A 20th century classic. (Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster, 1905)

3. A classic by a woman author. (The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, 1950)

4. A classic in translation.  (Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, 1856)

5. A classic by BIPOC author. (Passing by Nella Larsen, 1929)

6. Mystery/Detective/Crime Classic. (The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, 1868)

7. A Classic Short Story Collection. (Collected Stories of Somerset Maugham, vol. 1 -- Maugham died in the 1960s so all the stories are at least 50 years old)  

8. Pre-1800 Classic. (The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio, 1353)

9. A Nonfiction Classic. (Walden by Henry David Thoreau, 1854)

10. Classic That's Been on Your TBR List the Longest. (Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, 1791 -- my Dad recommended that I read this when I was in High School and I still haven't gotten to it)  

11. Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit. (The Ambassadors by Henry James -- set in Paris)

12. Wild Card Classic. (Love Among the Chickens by P. G. Wodehouse, 1906)

5 comments:

  1. Nice list! I haven't read very many of these, but I love The Moonstone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I love your Wodehouse title! Ha! I definitely approve of 'Passing' as a pick, and I have to tell you that while I enjoyed a good deal of the Decameron, it has an incredible number of bawdy stories about monks. So I hope you like naughty monk escapades, because that will really help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Passing and The Grand Sophy. I have just read a few of Georgette Heyer's Regency romances, but plan to read more. The Moonstone is on my want-to-read list. I am going to have figure out what classic has been on my TBR the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Moonstone is on my Back to the Classics Mystery category, too! I'm not planning on reading it this year, but I've been wanting to read The Grand Sophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning to read Moonstone as a chapter-a-day title in the Fall. Maybe I should consider a read-along as there seems to be interest in that book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...