Saturday, April 2, 2022

Six Degrees of Separation

The #6degrees meme is hosted at Books are my Favourite and Best


This month the chain begins with 
Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield. I haven't read this novel so I am going to begin my chain with another sea novel: (1) The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. This is the story of 
Antoinette Cosway, first wife of Edward Rochester (of Jane Eyre fame). I love books that take a famous story and look at it from another point of view. One of the best of these is (2) Wicked by Gregory Maguire which is the story of the wicked witch from (3) The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Another book about a wizard is (4) The Wizard of Earth Sea by Ursula K. LeGuin which tells the story of the great sorcerer Ged, who in his reckless youth was called Sparrowhawk. Another youth who comes to be known by a different name when he is grown is Wart, the main character in (5) The Once and Future King by T. H. White. His name when he grows up is King Arthur, and he is central to the story of (6) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain. 

3 comments:

  1. I was unsure about Wide Saragasso Sea, and I tried to read Wicked, but I got so confused by it, I gave up. When I was little, my father read The Wizard of Oz to us - I remember it fondly (and I have the DVD of the movie). I don't know that LeGuin book,though, and I have heard of the White book. I do know the Twain story well. What a lovely chain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting chain! Good work.

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2022/04/02/six-degrees-of-separation-our-wives-under-the-sea-by-julia-armfield/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice chain, you make me want to try all of those books. I have read A Wizard of Earthsea and The Wizard of Oz, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...