Sunday, November 16, 2014

Review: Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook

The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the SouthThe Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
by Cheryl Day

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There were a lot of delicious sounding recipes in this book and the directions were clear and strait-forward. The personality of the author comes through very strongly in the stories that accompany the recipes and the introductory matter. She is very perky and folksy, in a way I found appealing, but if that bugged you it would be a problem as it permeates the book. (There are some celebrity chefs whose personality is so cute-sy and dominates their books to the point that I can't read them so I am sensitive to this). The pictures are beautiful, including some of the bakery, but it would have been nice to see more of the bakery and not just the food. I'm a believer in the idea that if your going to eat dessert go all in, but the amount of butter in some of the recipes gives me pause.

After reading this book I definitely want to visit Charleston and this bakery.
I also want to bake the chocolate bread. I picked this up at the library after reading about the bourbon bread pudding recipe on The Friday Friends.

I am counting this book toward the 2014 Foodies Read Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...