Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Canadian Reading Challenge 6

I came across a post about this challenge on Bitter Tea and Mystery and thought it sounded interesting. I love the graphic! The challenge is organized on The Book Mine Set and runs Canada Day to Canada Day. The goal is to read and review 13 books by Canadian authors or about Canadians during the year. (There are 13 Canadian provinces, hence 13 books).

I'm not sure if I want to take on another reading challenge at the moment, but there are a few things drawing me toward this one:
1- There is a history of Canada on my shelf that I have been intending to read for years.
2- A post on Mysteries in Paradise reminded me that Louise Penny books would count and also Alan Bradley (didn't know he was Canadian). I have been working my way through their books lately anyway.
3- If I ever get through Bleak House (for the Tea & Books Challenge) I am planning to reward myself with a Robertson Davies novel for my next chunkster.

Whether I decide to sign up or not, I definitely plan to follow the posts on this challenge because it seems like a great opportunity to learn about Canadian books and authors I have missed out on.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about following the posts for this challenge. I am committed to doing that on the Canadian challenge so I can discover more Canadian authors. You have already introduced me to a new one. I did not know that Robertson Davies was Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robertson Davies is a wonderful writer and I'm glad to have spread the word. There is an interesting piece about him here: http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/2441/the-art-of-fiction-no-107-robertson-davies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Mary. It is very interesting (although long and I have not finished it yet). Even his way of speaking makes me want to try his books. My son has a copy of the Deptford trilogy which I will read ... at least Fifth Business.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...