Sunday, November 30, 2014

Giving Thanks for Mystery Novels

Over Thanksgiving I read a stack of mystery novels. Cross-country airplane trips are good for that. Rather than post about each one I am listing them all here with brief notes.

Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1)Murder in the Marais by Cara Black
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not generally a fan of books about hunting nazi war criminals, which this was to a large extent. I did like the character of Aimee and her partner and the history and scenic detail about Paris was interesting. I will read another of the books in this series, hopefully the next one will have a different focus to the mystery.


_____________________________________________________

 Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
Key Lime Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A fair with baking contests and a rodeo bring murder to Our intrepid heroine once again. some interesting info about one of the men in H's life. Nothing deep here, but entertaining fluff with cookies and pie mixed in. Several recipes I want to try.
This book counts toward Foodies Read 2014 Challenge.

 _______________________________________________________

NemesisNemesis by Agatha Christie
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Good. Not my favorite Miss Marple, but I liked the one this is something of a sequel to and it was nice to revisit that story a bit.


 

 _______________________________________________________

 Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)Black Orchids by Rex Stout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is actually 2 cases and I found the second mystery more interesting. The first had lots of Archie lines and shenanigans though, which is the best part of NW stories.




________________________________________________________
Homicide in Hardcover (A Bibliophile Mystery, #1)
Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A bit more romance than I prefer in my mysteries, but a very appealing romantic interest and a lot of insider book-binding info. The story is set in San Francisco and vicinity. The hippie Mom is quite entertaining and there were some good turns of phrase.
"he was indeed gorgeous as honey-baked sin..." (p. 60)
I will read another book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...