Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Nonfiction November - Week 3

The Week 3 topic is Be The Expert/Ask the Expert/Become the Expert and is hosted by Julie @ JulzReads.
Three ways to join in this week! You can either share three or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).
I decided to "be the expert" and share a list of excellent books about food.

  • Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell. I loved this book! It is the true story of how a young woman decided to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. In a tiny NYC apartment. It is touching, inspiring, and hilarious.
  • Soul Food: The Surprising Story of an American Cuisine, One Plate at a Time by Adrian Miller. This book won the 2014 James Beard Foundation Book Award (Reference and Scholarship). There is a lot of food history, and American history, packed into this very readable book.
  • Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America's Kings of Beer by William Knoedelseder. This book was a combination of business analysis, brewing history, pop culture retrospective, and gossip column. It worked. The Busch family was, for the most part a train wreck in their personal lives and how that intersected with running one of the worlds largest and most successful companies is a fascinating tale.

8 comments:

  1. Julie and Julia is one of my favourite movies. I've read both J's books as well but preferred Julia's of the two. I think I will always prefer historical rather than contemporary memoirs/bios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia's memoir is on my TBR list. I totally identified with Julie in a lot of ways which made this book a favorite.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite things about this prompt has been seeing how many people have selected the same topic, but have had no books cross over on those lists. I looked at food, too, and your post made me add more to MY to-read.

    http://stackedbooks.org/2018/11/nonfiction-november-week-3-dig-into-food-nonfiction-be-the-expert.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of those but I do love reading about food and have heard of the first one. I actually read a different book about Julia Child that was released when the Julie and Julia movie came out. Great recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bitter Brew sounds good! I like reading about businesses, especially when there is some human context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a topic chosen by several bloggers, interesting!
    On Julia Child, I read and loved this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46154.Appetite_for_Life

    My post is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2018/11/14/nonfiction-november-2018-expert-on-books-on-books/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good suggestions, these all sound interesting! I read a book about tomatoes, I can't remember the title now, but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie and Julia is one of the few books where I've watched the movie and not read the book! These all sound like good reads :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...