Friday, December 14, 2018

Lisa's Review: The Beautiful Mystery

The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny

My Rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book #8 in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.

I think this is the first book in the series that does not involve Three Pines at all...in location, and none of the local characters (an earlier book in the series did not take place in Three Pines but did go there for a brief period).

In this book, Chief Inspector Gamache and Inspector Beauvoir travel to the remote Quebec monastery of Saint-Gilbert-Entre-les-Loups where one of the 24 monks who live there had been murdered, and all of the other 23 monks are suspects.

I loved the setting of this book. As much as I love Three Pines, I thought that this was a much welcome diversion for me. I found the whole scene of the secluded monastery to be a very interesting one.

An underlying story about the raid in the warehouse that has been a subtle undercurrent in prior novels starts to come more to the forefront here but not entirely - this story line has me wanting for more resolution!

I read many reviews on this book of folks who did not like the ending. I agree, I did not like how this one ended at all...but still loved the progression and setting. And I also knew that I could pick up the next book in the series right away, so was hopeful what I didn't like in the ending might change course when I picked up the next book (which I did the very next day!). 

This is my second book read for the 12th Annual Canadian Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...