Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Golden Tresses of the Dead

The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10)The Golden Tresses of the Dead
by Alan Bradley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At the end of the last Flavia de Luce novel she and Dogger decided to open an agency for "discrete inquiries." This is their first case.  Most of the usual characters are present, though her sisters are decidedly in the background this time. Flavia's young cousin Undine is developing into an interesting character. The resolution of the actual mystery is a bit murky which annoyed me, but the sleuthing and chemistry was up to typical Bradley standards. The way that Flavia sees the world continues to enchant me.
"Lovely day for a funeral" might be a most dreadful faux pas, and "I'm sorry you're dead" could well be etiquettical suicide. The solution was, as it is in so many other instances of British life, to press my lips together and give a microscopic nod and turn to looking out the window. (p. 251)
I love the phrase "etiquettical suicide"!
This book counts toward the Canadian Book Challenge (Bradley is Canadian) and Cruising through the Cozies as a cozy of my choice (it could be historical or outside the US, but I have both those covered already).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...