Monday, February 8, 2021

Surfacing

SurfacingSurfacing 
by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"I have to be more careful about my memories. I have to be sure they're my own and not the memories of other people telling me what I felt, how I acted, what I said: if the events are wrong the feelings I remember about them will be wrong too, I'll start inventing them and there will be no way of correcting it, the ones who could help are gone." (p.70)
The heroine of this novel goes into the Canadian wilderness where she grew up in search of her father who has disappeared. What she finds is her own past and a new sense of her own identity. This is an intriguing, somewhat strange novel perched on the very edge of magical realism. It was first published in 1972 and feels very set in its time in some ways, especially the way the women view themselves and each other.
I am counting this toward the Canadian Book Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...