Saturday, January 1, 2022

Six Degrees of Separation

The #6degrees meme is hosted at Books are my Favourite and Best


This month the chain begins with 
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. This amazing novel begins in a gallery where a photography exhibit is going on. Another of my favorite novels features a photography exhibit towards the end: The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai. I also loved Makkai's novel The Hundred-Year House which is about family and is told through the lens of the family house. The Dutch House by Ann Patchett also uses a house as a way to frame the tale of a family. Bel Canto is a very different kind of novel--it focuses on a hostage situation in a South American country--and was my introduction to Patchett's work. Another novel with a South American setting (Columbia specifically) is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I listened to this novel which was a good call because I think all the Spanish names would have been tough going for me but the audio version was beautiful and easy for me to follow. Another book that I enjoyed as an audiobook because it eliminated a language barrier for me is Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon. This is the first of her Guido Brunetti books and I have listened to most of them on audio which is a wonderful way to experience these fabulous mysteries set in Venice. It also has an opera theme which connects back to Bel Canto.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great chain with straightforward links, which I sometimes have difficulty with. Both The Hundred Year House and the Dutch House sound good. I have only read Bel Canto by Patchett, and I enjoyed that one, so I got The Dutch House at the book sale in September. I haven't read anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice links! I enjoyed a lot Bel Canto, and the opera (you know it was made into an opera, premiered in Chicago) is great as well, unique with all the languages included in it.
    Here is my post: https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/01/01/six-degrees-of-separation-from-new-york-to-paris/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one of your books I have read (so far!) is the Donna Leon. I enjoy her Brunetti books as much for the settings and the details of daily life in Venice, as for the plots. I also appreciate the way that Brunetti has a happy family life - a real contrast to the numerous miserable/alcoholic/grumpy detectives we see in so many novels. I have never thought of listening to them on audio, but that's a great idea and no doubt gives one an excellent feel for the locations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...