Saturday, October 8, 2022

The Moonstone

The MoonstoneThe Moonstone 
by Wilkie Collins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

According to Wikipedia:
The book is regarded by some as the precursor of the modern mystery novel and the suspense novel. T. S. Eliot called it "the first, the longest, and the best of modern English detective novels in a genre invented by Collins and not by Poe," and Dorothy L. Sayers praised it as "probably the very finest detective story ever written".
This was a wonderful mystery, full of twists and turns and many of the tropes that have become the hallmarks of detective fiction. It is written as a series of reports (collected so that later generations of the family involved will know the truth) by people involved in the incidents connected with the Moonstone. This was supposed to be my chapter-a-day book but I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next so I flew through it. This was my second Wilkie Collins novel.

This book is on my Classics Club list, it is on my TBR pile challenge list, and I am counting it as a "Classic Mystery" for the Back to the Classics Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...