Tuesday, December 28, 2021

The War of the Worlds

The War of the WorldsThe War of the Worlds 
by H.G. Wells
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this audiobook which was brilliantly narrated by Simon Prebble. I wasn't sure what to expect from this sci-fi classic and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. The vocabulary was more sophisticated than in most contemporary novels, but the style did not feel old-fashioned despite having been written in 1898. I really liked the way the book was structured: the narrator is telling us the story in the past tense so we know (even in the really scary bits) that he is going to survive. We also hear about the experiences his brother had so we can see what is happening in two different places. The way the story ends was also really well done and (for me at least) unexpected. 
This book is on my Classics Club list

1 comment:

  1. I still remember hearing this for the first time when I was about 10 or so, I was absolutely spellbound!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...