Thursday, February 24, 2022

Readers' Advisory Guide to Historical Fiction

The Readers' Advisory Guide to Historical FictionThe Readers' Advisory Guide to Historical Fiction 
by Jennifer S. Baker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As I mentioned in my sign-up post for the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge I am not a big reader of this genre. I have been working on my readers' advisory skills recently for work and I read this book as part of that project. I found it very interesting -- particularly the definitions of sub-genres and what seemed to be a tremendous struggle to get these massive tomes to fit into any kind of classification structure. Ultimately I'm not sure they do. I was somewhat reassured by the numerous books discussed in this volume that I have read. 
One of the key pieces of advice in this book is that to get to know this genre (or any other) you need to read in it. A reading plan is provided at the end of the book, but as I was reading I kept notes of titles that appealed to me so have constructed my own Historical Fiction reading plan. This list constitutes thousands of pages of reading, even if I don't continue with any of these series,  so I am not setting any time-frame for completing it, but am compiling a list of potential reading for future reference.

There are a few authors that I want to read something by, but don't have a specific title in mind:
Then there are specific books that looked interesting to me:
There were also some titles that were already on my TBR list that I am even more excited about now:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...