Monday, October 3, 2022

Challenge Check-in: Back to the Classics

In hopes of completing my various reading challenges by the end of the year I will be posting check-ins this week on the various challenges and what I have left to read if I am going to complete them. 


For 
Back to the Classics the challenge is to read classics (must be published before 1972) that fit specific categories. The more categories you complete the more entries you get in the prize drawing at the end of the year. I am aiming to read 12 books for this challenge. 

These are the categories I have completed so far:

1. A 19th century classic. (New Grub Street by George Gissing, 1891)


3. A classic by a woman author. (The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer, 1950)

4. A classic in translation.  (Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, 1856)

5. A classic by BIPOC author. (Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, 1958)

6. A Classic Short Story Collection. 
(Buttered Side Down by Edna Ferber, 1912)  

7. Pre-1800 Classic. (The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio, 1353)

8. Classic That's Been on Your TBR List the Longest. (Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, 1791)  

9. Wild Card Classic. (Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens, 1839)

I still need to read books for these categories:

10. Mystery/Detective/Crime Classic. 
I am about half-way through 
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, 1868 so this will be all set shortly.

11. A Nonfiction Classic. 
These are all on my Classics Club list (and my book shelf) so are possibilities:

*Walden, Henry David Thoreau, 1854 -- this is an alternated for the TBR pile challenge, but I never seem to be in the mood to start it.
*Out of Africa, Isak Dinesen, 1937
*Islam: A Short History, Karen Armstrong, 2000
*The Story of Philosophy, Will Durant, 1926

12. Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit. 
I am considering Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers (set in Georgia) and
The Ambassadors by Henry James (set in Paris) for this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...