Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Nonfiction November - Week 2

T
his week is hosted at Volatile Rune and the focus is on how we choose our nonfiction books. 
What are you looking for when you pick up a nonfiction book? Do you have a particular topic you’re attracted to? Do you have a particular writing style that works best? When you look at a nonfiction book, does the title or cover influence you? If so, share a title or cover which you find striking. 
Typically I choose my non-fiction books based on the subject matter. I am interested in a wide range of subjects: history, food, social sciences, books-about-books, true-crime, science, travel, crafting and creativity, and biography. All of these topics make regular appearances in my reading life. I am definitely partial to strong narrative, and I especially like when the author is a clear personality within the book. Books where someone decides to try some experiment on themselves and write about it are probably my favorite form of nonfiction (think Julie & Julia, or Living Oprah). A clever title will definitely catch my attention (Personal History, or A Libertarian Walks into a Bear) but since I generally get my books from the public library the cover is less of an influence on my choices.

For an overview of #NonFicNov visit She Seeks Nonfiction.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the most important thing is the subject. A funny title is not bad either. I like your A Liberterian ..., great title. I hope the book was good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would only choose a nonfiction based on my interest in the subject. I don't read much nonfiction but I do especially like books about books, mystery reference books, crafting and gardening. Right now I am reading Vesper Flights by Helen Macdonald and Wait for Me! by Deborah Mitford, although only reading a chapter here and there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...